I frequently try out different foods when training so that I can test out which foods provide me with a lot of energy during my runs/workouts and which ones just don’t do the trick.
I had been hearing about a lot of endurance athletes using CHIA seeds as a staple in their daily diet because of their MANY health benefits and just one of those great benefits happens to be that they have extreeeeme energy providing potential.
Even just the word “chia” itself stands for STRENGTH in mayan language.
So of course I had to test these little suckers out to see what this whole CHIA craze was about & I decided to combine them with some other pre-workout energy favorites (Bananas, Strawberries and Green Tea) all of which resulted in a highly energetic day that went something like this:
- 8:00am- CHIA BANANA STRAWBERRY PUDDING for breakfast
- 8:30am- Green Tea (–great to have pre-workout as well because of the caffeine)
- 9:00am- Met up with a friend and went on a CRAZY mountain trail run, going through mud paths, running up stairs then back down, around , down up and all the way back. For a total of 16k!
- 10:30am-Decided that I still had energy to do my regular Saturday morning gym circuit so picked up 1 liter of water and a LARA BAR and headed to the Gym.
- 10:45am-11:30am Did my Saturday Gym Circuit consisting of mostly lower body exercises
- Rest of the day- Worked.
& Now I am home after a LONG day (feeling like my legs are going to collapse) but thought that I must share this pre-workout recipe that gave me an insane amount of energy today! So here it is;
CHIA BANANA STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE BOWL:
- 2 Bananas
- 1 1/2 Cup Frozen Strawberries
- 2 TBSP of CHIA SEEDS
- Blend Bananas and Strawberries, adding water until desired consistency.
- Pour smoothie into a bowl & add 2 TBSP of CHIA SEEDS.
- Let Chia seeds soak for a few minutes in to the smoothie, top with Banana and Strawberry & Enjoy.
- GO ON A CRAZY WORKOUT!
So why it is that CHIA seeds provide such great energy ESPECIALLY for endurance training?
To keep it short and simple…
When Chia seeds are eaten with carbohydrates (such as the bananas and strawberries for example) they slow down the absorption of sugars on the system. Because our main source of FUEL is Carbohydrates (aka Sugar/Glycogen) we need stores of these in our body in order to have the energy to train for a long period of time. During higher-intensity workouts the muscles burn more fuel & so therefore, when the energy from the food is released steadily it results in more endurance.
Also, Chia has an ability to retain water which keeps you hydrated by retaining electrolytes in body for longer especially during exertion. Even more so than any other water or sports drinks out there! And it’s all done 100% naturally.
So go on an try these little power seeds for yourself;)